While I’m actively procrastinating on my backup application and finishing my MacBook Pro review, I was pondering on what tool I should continue to use or start to use for writing my blog posts. I’ve tried a few things in the past, one of them being Markdown in Byword way back in the early stages of my blogging efforts, Libre Office and the ODT file format sometime after that and more recently Microsoft’s Word using its DOCX format. To generalize it a bit:
- Markdown using any capable editor.
- A full featured Word processor.
Both tools have their pro’s and con’s, but none of them are the perfect solution and I’m finding myself doing a bit of this and a bit of that, but never being really satisfied.
Read More »
I tend to write a lot of background to paint a picture why I’m doing things, so I’ll try to keep it short for to move on to the code quickly.
I have a digital music collection that was sorted by the first letter of the artist (A, B, C etc.) and then the artist and underneath that the albums. While that is good to find things, it’s not optimal for listening in my car (via USB stick). Sometimes I find myself wanting to listen to all of Melodic Death Metal on shuffle play. My car doesn’t support this like iTunes, with its internal music library, which is why I wanted to group artists and albums by genre. Since I didn’t plan to do this all manually, I opted to write some scripts in Python.
The code is available on GitHub. If you have suggestions for improvements, please comment or create a pull request. I’m not a Python pro, so I’m sure there’s some room to make it better.
Read More »